BIO-DATA OF BRIGADIER GENERAL OF THE NYSC
NNAMDI THOMAS OKORE-AFFIA
FSS, MSS, DSS, MNIM
Brig-Gen Nnamdi Thomas Okore-Affia who hails from Arochukwu in Abia state was born on the 15th day of January, 1959 in Bonn, Germany.
He had his primary education at the University Staff School; Nsukka from 1966 - 1972 and proceeded to St. Theresa’s College, Nsukka where he obtained West African School Certificate (WASC) in 1977.
He graduated in Political Science from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in 1981 and was mobilized and deployed to Lagos state for the National Youth Service Corps programme in August 1981. He did his NYSC Primary Assignment at the Headquarters, Nigerian Army Corps of Military Police, Lagos. He was commissioned into the Nigerian Army as a Lieutenant on the 1st November, 1982. He was promoted Captain in November, 1986, Major in 1991, Lieutenant Colonel in 1996, Colonel in 2002 and Brigadier-General in 2008.
Gen Okore-Affia, a member of Nigerian Institute of Management (Chartered) has attended many in-service courses both within and outside Nigeria. The courses include :
* Direct Short Service Commission, Course 10 (Jan - May 1983)
* Young Officers Course (Infantry) 51 Jan - April, 1986
* Specialised Warfare 3rd August - Nov 1986
* Young Officers Course (Education) 14 (Aug - Nov 1987)
* United States Defence Institute of International Legal Studies Executive Seminar July 2002
* Nigerian Institute of Management Leadership Development Programme - April 2009
Gen Okore-Affia attended Tai Solarin University of Education in 2007 and obtained a Post Graduate Diploma in Education in 2008 making him a well grounded Educationist.
He has served the Army in the following units: HQ Nigerian Army Education, Nov 82 - Sept 83; HQ 9 Motorised Infantry Brigade, Mar 92 - Jun 96; Nigerian Military School, Zaria, July 96 - Apr 97; Command Day Secondary School, Abuja, Apr 97 - Mar 00; Army Headquarters Department of Army Training and Operations Mar 00 - Mar 03; Nigeria Defence Academy, Mar 03 - Aug 03; Nigerian Army School of Education, Aug 03 - Nov. 04; Army Headquarters Garrison, Nov 04 - May 06; HQ 81 Division, Nigerian Army May 06 - Feb 07; HQ 2 Division, Nigerian Army, Feb. 07 - Feb 08; Institute of Army Education (IAE) Feb 08 - Aug 11.
Brig-Gen Nnamdi Thomas Okore-Affia, a consummate Officer and gentleman has held several appointments in the Army notably:
* Assistant Public Relations Officer, * Research Officer, * Staff Captain ‘A’
* Military Assistant to Commandant NAEC, * Chief Education Officer
* Senior Instructor (Education), * Lecturer, * Registrar, * Chief Instructor
* Assistant Director Army Education and Director (ADAE)
He has also held the following extra-regimental appointments in the following capacities namely:
* Camp Commandant NYSC Lagos State 1992 (1st and 2nd tiers)
* Member Federal Capital Territory NYSC Governing Board 2005 - 2006
* Member NYSC National Honours Award Committee 1997 - 2008
In August, 2011, Brig-Gen Nnamdi Okore-Affia was appointed Director-General, National Youth Service Corps by the President and Commander-In-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces thus making him the 15th Chief Executive of the Scheme.
He is happily married with children and enjoys jogging, swimming and weightlifting.